For those of you wanting to bake your own cake, try starting with the basic vanilla chiffon. Here is my recipe that I want to share with you. Let me know how it comes out ..
Ingredients1.5 Cups Cake flour
1 cup white Sugar
1 tspn baking powder
5 large eggs,separated
1/8 tspn cream of tartar (or vinegar)
1/2 tspn fine salt
1/3 C Oil ( canola or palm oil)
2 tbsp butter
Preheat Oven at 325degF
1. Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, fine salt, baking powder. Sift 3 times in order to make sure that powder mixture is loose and no lumps would appear in the final product.
2. In another glass or metal bowl. Place the eggwhites. If the eggwhites are cold let them reach room temperature first. (Eggwhites are best beaten when not cold if you want to have a very nice fluffy mirengue mouse. )
3 Put 1/8 tspn of cream of tartar. If you dont have it, you can use vinegar. This is just necessary to make the eggwhites a little acidic. Add about 1/4 cup sugar.
4.Beat eggwhites mixture using your electric mixer at low speed first until soft peaks occur.(Remember: things to use when beating eggwhites should be dry and free from any oil residue otherwise you wont get a fluffy mirengue.)
5. Add 1/2 cup of sugar. Turn your mixer to high speed until the mirengue is shiny and forms pointed peaks. To check, turn off your mixer while mixer is dipped in the mirengue that your are beating, then bring it up. As you remove the whisk out of the mirengue, the peaks should show standing upright. If not, continue beating and check from time to time.
5. In another bowl, combine wet ingredients: egg yolk, milk, water, oil and vanilla flavor. Beat with electric mixer.
6. When the wet mixture (batter) is already consistent, put the dry ingredients little by little while mixing. This will ensure that no lumps will form in the final mixture.
7. When finished combining wet and dry ingredients, continue mixing the batter till you reach a very nice consistency of the batter.
8. Fold the mirengue into the batter. Fold from side to the center while turning your bowl around. Break any lumped mirengue using the spatula. Do not mix vigorously or else the mousse will collapse.
9. Pour in a greased 9in round baking pan. Bake at 325degF for about 30-45 min or until the toothpick doneness test at the cake center comes out clean.
Simple.. Let me know your feedback or any question you may have.